Physical Anthropology of Mankind
Summaries of my learning.
- January 28, 2009 . Thoughts after "Deep Ancestry" by Spencer Wells arrived.
Adds male DNA path which expands on 'Seven Daughters of Eve', the female line.
Describes the work of the National Geographic Gene Project.
- email of Jan 14, 2009 Getting Started.
- Timescale of Eath
- Timescale of mankind
- Story of Three Men February 5, 2009
- Cold Ages and Warm - Feb 18, 2009 . Seven Daughters of Eve, 2001
- Essential Tables needed to place mankind in earth perspective. -- Feb 18.
- Global Warming and Cold -- Feb 28, 2009
- One Out-of-Africa -- March 12, 2009 . The Real Eve, 2003
- Before the Dawn -- May 27, 2009. clear and complete, 2006
- First Word -- June 8, 2009. Language, 2007
- Human Nature -- July 4, 2009. Violence?
- My Haplogroup -- Jan 30, 2016
Popular Books : (my reading list.)
My to-read list.
- Saxons, Vikings, and Celts The Genetic Roots of Britain and Ireland by Bryan Sykes, Dec, 2007
ISBN-10: 0393330753 ; ISBN-13: 9780393330755 . About the Oxford Genetic Atlas Project,
First half is British myth, history and poetry. Then gathers DNA data to confirm or deny. mDNA is
ancient - walked or boat from Iberia. Y-DNA shows some invasions, but mostly is as ancient as mDNA.
Buy new: $16.95 $11.53 . 40 Used or new from $9.67 .
- Deep Ancestry: Inside The Genographic Project by Spencer Wells (Paperback - Nov 20, 2007) - good
Similar with "Eve's" conclusions, but about the oldest male chromosomes common to all mankind. Adam lived about 60,000 years ago about the time man successfully moved out of Africa. Author heads the National Geographic's Genographic Project with online results in tracking bands of mankind's movements as foreshadowed by Zimmer and Oppenheimer/Stephen..
Buy new: $12.95 $10.36 . 50 Used or new from $5.22
- Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors - Nicholas Wade, 2006 . - Excellent, clear & complete.
- The First Human: The Race to Discover Our Earliest Ancestors (Paperback) by Ann Gibbons, 2006, $10.50 pre-homo. Biographical story of each discovery in paleoanthropology.
- Smithsonian Intimate Guide to Human Origins by Carl Zimmer, 2005. A survey from monkeys to the future with many illustrations.
HB $6.70; 2007 PB . [new$8]
Hardcover, 176 pg - Nov 30, 2005. New Bargain $7.99 0060829613 New-new=$28.22 .
Paperback - (February 6, 2007) $14.04 ISBN-10: 0061196673 ; ISBN-13: 978-0061196676
- Physical Anthropology 07/08 . Annual Editions with top articles of that year. Each new topic with prior years supporting articles.
- Physical Anthropology 06/07 : Physical Anthropology 05/06 ; Physical Anthropology 00/01 by Elvino Angeloni
Hint: these annual editions seem to repeat half the the prior year, so only every other yearbook is required.
- "Guns, Germs, and Steel," Jared Diamond's best seller, useful to understand how mankind moves about from climate and geography. HC/SC 2005.
- Essentials of Physical Anthropology -- conventional textbook good for earth and monkey history
with lots about artifacts. The Fifth (2004) edition had not been updated with recent DNA evidence.
- "The Real Eve: Modern Man's Journey Out of Africa" by Oppenheimer, Stephen, 2003. U$7+4
Has it all in one big book. Hardback has pictures not in paperback. There has been progress since 2003. Author points out that only one out-of-Africa is required -- beachcombers along Eurasian southern shore Interior settled by going up river from S. Asia coasts. Others have a 2nd Out of Africa, but this could just as well be from settlement at Tigris-Euphrates mouth going up the valley and splitting paths to Med. seashore and to Ukraine, Kazakhstan.
- The Seven Daughters of Eve : The Science That Reveals Our Genetic History by Bryan Sykes
Novel-like discussion of the search with mitochondrial DNA reaching concussions that revolutionized
mankind's history. Follows mitochondrial DNA of seven genotypes from the oldest homo sapiens and "mother" of all mankind about 200,000 years ago.
(Paperback - May 2002) Buy new: $16.95 $11.53 . 76 Used & new from $6.78
(Paperback - 2001) 16 Used & new from $4.71
(Hardcover - Jan 1, 2001) 1 Used & new from $40.00
- Human (Dk Smithsonian Institution) by Robert Winston and Don E. Wilson (Hardcover - Oct 4, 2004) . Biology, sociology, culture and world peoples.
Human Evolution and Prehistory by William A. Haviland, 2003
- Physical Anthropology 2001/02, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, 8/9 yearbooks.
Have received or on order :
Others to consider next :
- Anthropology 2010/11 ,11/12, 12/13, 13./14 Annuals Yearbooks. by Elvino Angeloni
Italic are ones I've read so far.
- The Complete World of Human Evolution by Chris Stringer and Peter Andrews, 2005, $26. Lots of pics
- Adam's Curse: The Science That Reveals Our Genetic Destiny by Bryan Sykes
(Paperback - May 2005) . Buy new: $15.95 $10.85 , 51 Used & new from $4.98.
But I have had enough of Sykes' DNS gathering tales.
- Trace Your Roots with DNA: Use Your DNA to Complete Your Family Tree by Megan Smolenyak and Ann Turner (Paperback - Oct 7, 2004)
- The Journey of Man: A Genetic Odyssey by Spencer Wells (Paperback - Feb 17, 2004)
Buy new: $14.95 $10.17 . 74 Used & new from $6.63. See video below.
- Human Evolutionary Genetic : Origins, People and Disease, 2003.
- The Illustrated History of Early Man by John Haywood . Hardcover (2000) $4.98 bw
- Cambridge Encyclopedia of Human Evolution, 1992
Related Interests :
- The First Word : the Search for the Origins of Language by Christine Kenneally , 2007.
- How Language Works by David Crystal , 2005
- Redesigning Humans: Our Inevitable Genetic Future by Gregory Stock, 2002
- Genetic Engineering: Opposing Viewpoints by Greenhaven Press, 2001
- Singularity, Artificial Intelligence, Robotics.
A selection of Pictures
A selection of Maps
VIDEOs from Marshalltown Library about early man:.
- Mysteries of Mankind -- VCR, 60 min, from point of view of discoverers.
- Walking with Cavemen -- DVD, two, 45 min ea,.from point of view of species.
- Ape to Man – DVD, 100 min. from point of view of anthropologists
Video Web Sites
- The Journey of Man, A Genetic Odyssey – PBS/Natl Geo --2003 (see youtube below)
- The Search for Adam - 2005
- Guns, Germs, and Steel - more emphasis on guns than geography that book stresses.
Of Random Iinterest.
- Great Summary -- in only 9 minutes.
- Genographic Project -- need a book.
- Intro to Genographic Project with Katie Curic, too shallow.
- The Journey of Man, TV documentary, 13 - 9 minute segments.
The DVD is $23 from Amazon or $15 plus shipping from others.
- Intro, typical documentary, slow, only audio is important,
- San Bushman, oldest homo sapiens, DNA
- Bushman - human language, technology emerges
- Australian Mungo - 50K years ago
- India way point - 50K , seek Y marker
- Lab work
- to Asia - 45K, caves
- Asia to Europe - 35K ; Kazakhstan, 40K
- Interviews - Kazakhstan descendents.
- Travel , Interviews - Siberia
- Chuchi follow reindeer
- Navaho - from Asia
- Rio - all mankind the same under the skin
Synonyms for search engines: Physical anthropology, genetic archeology
Astronomy Class -- Timelines
For variations on timeline theme:
- http://www.manorweb.com/creative/2008/timescale.html as a web page
- http://www.manorweb.com/creative/2008/timescale.doc as word.doc
Creative Retirement :
GD2 Discussion Topics.
ABOUT : Resources for this fascinating subject
Back to : Manorweb Index
Last update: July 4, 2009