JAMES L. BAUER, P.E.
2490 248th Street
Marshalltown, Iowa 50158
A proven professional with skills in information systems, inventory management, industrial engineering,
problem solving, and analyzing customer requirements. Areas of expertise are industrial engineering,
material management, data processing, management consulting and administration.
Fisher Controls International, Inc. Marshalltown, Iowa. 1977-1999
Project Manager, Information Systems
- Developed Data Warehouse of company files supported with menu links and documentation.
- Led Year 2000 review and update of several thousand programs in the SAS language
- Developed an Internet pilot for an internal Web that was expanded to all company sites world wide.
- Introduced an efficiency orientation to programming that saved thousands of lines of
programmer maintenance code and hundreds of hours of mainframe computer time.
- Participated in setting MIS strategy for the three to five year time frame.
Project Manager, Material Management
- Initial goal was to improve customer delivery: customers had been calling the President directly
about late orders. Found large inventories, but seldom were all parts required for an order
available at the same time.
- Determined an optimal stocking level for each item based upon
usage resulting in increase on-time shipments from low 80% to mid-90% by cutting leadtime in
half, balancing and reducing inventory by $3MM in an increasing sales environment. Re-
established customer goodwill. Received Quality Award.
- Represented manufacturing systems on a design task force to determine
how to convert from a job shop to just-in-time manufacture.
- Created a manufacturing forecast based on usage history that is five times better in predicting
actual sales to forecast. This allows better usage of capacity with less inventory.
- Determined usage and stocking policies for optimal customer service of low volume,
replacement parts business using remote distribution warehouses.
- Scoped shop floor control system for a plant in England.
User Computing Manager, Management Information Systems
- Founded a department to introduce mainframe, do-it-yourself programming by end users.
- Provided SAS software, hardware, training, and data access.
- Introduced the first PCs.
Special Projects Manager, Management Information Systems
- Evaluated software packages for other plants and Technical Center .
- Studied and recommended high level policy concerning corporate manufacturing systems.
- Introduced the concept of materials manager with for integration of planning and execution.
- Developed long range information systems plans.
Systems Supervisor, Marshalltown Division Systems
- Started a new department of Manufacturing Systems from scoping to management.
Developed specifications and systems designs. Selected H/W and S/W. Coordinated contract
programmers. Hired and trained professional and operating staffs. Supervised all functions.
- Results: Introduced online, realtime systems to the company with the ability to instantly find
and cost every order. Also, provided wage payment data for union workers.
Hammermill Paper Company, Erie, Pennsylvania. 1976 - 1977
Business Systems Consultant responsible for a group of four subsidiary companies with order entry, billing,
payroll, and inventory systems.
Collins Radio Group, Cedar Rapids, Iowa. 1974 - 1976
Advanced Planner of the design of production and inventory interfaces for a major manufacturing
information system on the COPICS model (mainframe MRP+), including minicomputer based shop floor control.
GTE Sylvania, Towanda, Pennsylvania. 1967 - 1974
Project Leader for shop floor control system encompassing scheduling, tooling optimization, machine
loading and line balancing through realtime shop control. I was the first person to put (and/or
publish about) video terminals on a shop floor for interaction with production workers.
Senior Industrial Engineer
- Negotiated job evaluation and wage administration for a newly unionized plant.
- Administered all I.E. functions including economic analysis, productivity and budgetary controls,
plant layout, project coordination, supervision, and training.
- Designed and implemented a computer based shop floor control system.
Owens-Corning Fiberglas, New York, New York. 1963 - 1967
Staff Engineer, N.Y. Administered wage incentives, job evaluation, standard procedures, and packaging.
Plant Start-up, Battice, Belgium. Set up I.E. department and trained Europeans in management control.
Field Engineer, N.Y., N.Y., Increased productivity for major customers.
Methods Engineer, Huntingdon, Pa. Hired into Corporate Training Program. Performed all aspects of
industrial engineering. Accomplished annual goals within a few months and moved to HQ.
M.A., Management Systems , University of Iowa
B.S., Industrial Engineering , Pennsylvania State University
Registered Professional Engineer
"Real Time Shop Control" , Industrial Engineering
Certified Fellow Production and Inventory Management , APICS
Certificate in Data Processing Management , CDP and CCP
About this Page : Professional Resume
Last updated on April 3, 1999
Back to: Manor home page